Soap Around the World
Video, c.110 min.
"Soap Around the World" was part of an ARTE thematic evening
called "Soap or Life is a Soap Opera".
"Soap Around the World" is a journey through every day parallel
worlds, which embrace the globe day by day, week by week. It is
all about researching the conditions under which tv-serials are
being produced and perceived in different countries. Beyond that
it questions the societal as well as politcal relevance of these
designs of reality. From Hollywood, where the US serials are
being distributed worldwide, via Kazakhstan, where a soap opera,
itself a product of effective free market economy, helps the same
market economy to a breakthrough, the question leads to Nigeria,
where a sitcom through means of satire questions the whole social
and political system.
- Archive: Harvey Elentuck introduces Procter & Gamble (11.20 min.)
- Stage 1: Berlin - Los Angeles(22.26 min.)
- Stage 2: Los Angeles - New York - Tijuana (15.30min.)
- Archive: Coronation Street (05.09 min.)
- Stage 3: Alma Ata - London (23.02 min.)
- Stage 4: Köln - München (12.10 min.)
- Archive: Ken Saro Wiwa (short documentary) (05.11 min.)
- Stage 5: Berlin - Lagos - Port Harcourt (16.22 min.)
|| concept | | participants | | database | | linx ||